INSTITUTE FOR FAMILY-OWNED BUSINESS
Secretary Board of Directors Job Description
The Institute for Family-Owned Business is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the success of family-owned businesses in the State of Maine.
For more information, please go to the IFOB website at www.fambusiness.org
The Secretary reports to the Chair of the Board and serves on the Executive and Governance Committee that supports and sustains the work of the Institute. Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Assisting the Chair and ED/CEO as they implement the Institute’s mission and/or strategic direction
- As a board member, approving the Institute’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Assisting the ED/CEO and Nominating Committee in recruiting board members
- Partnering with the ED/CEO to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Acting as an ambassador for the Institute
- Ensuring the IFOB’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities the Institute serves
- Certify all votes, resolutions and actions of the Board, and committees of the Board, and attest that all documents executed on behalf of the Corporation
- Review the minutes provided by Verrill for accuracy and completion in preparation for the next Board meeting
- Work with the ED/CEO as needed on official documents
The IFOB’s Board Secretary (and board members) will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held bi-monthly, with a bi-annual retreat and committee meetings will be held as needed.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of the IFOB’s beneficiaries and who has a track record of leadership.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to and understanding of the IFOB’s beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the IFOB’s beneficiaries
Service on the IFOB’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.